Chapter Eleven Part II
In the middle years of the century Maltby had three inns – The Swan, the Don John (in High Street), and the Scarborough Arms (High Street). These inns are listed in the 1845 edition of White’s Directory. In earlier Directories there is mention of the George and Dragon and the Yellow Lion. The records say that Francis Hartshorn kept the Swan in 1861 and in 1868 changed its name to the White Swan. It is recorded in White’s Directory that he fenced in the medieval cross which is a little distance from the White Swan. Maltby’s second oldest inn is the Don Jon.
Though it is old, the present structure was built to cope with the great increase of population which came with the sinking of the coal mine in 1910. The previous inn on the site had been named after the winner of the 1838 St. Leger Stakes at Doncaster. The horse named Don Jon was owned by Lord Chesterfield. The Eagle (later Spread Eagle) was at Stone on the Sandbeck Estate. There were various “ale houses” as well.
The ancient mills on Maltby Dike still figured economically in the Nineteenth Century, and maintained their medieval names – Wood Lea or Hooton Levitt, Stone, Roche Abbey and The Yews. As in earlier records the Directories mention the fact that the miller at The Yews was also a paper maker.
Squarson though he was, Vicar Rolleston accomplished a lot in his small village. The village school founded in 1723 by Viscount Castleton and village men was quite inadequate for a later age. It was housed in a small limestone building some way from the village Church.
On 16th December, 1823 land and buildings were provided for a school under the auspices of the Reverend George Rolleston, Vicar of Maltby and Stainton. On December 30th, 1823 John Cooke and George Rolleston became trustees for the new school. For the time being Viscount Castleton’s Endowed School continued in its ways. On September 1st, 1842 the new school – its trustees were now Vicar and Churchwardens – was formally associated with the National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church. It was through the co-operation of the National Society (a Church of England organisation) and the Government (through grant aid) that schools all over England were set up.
The School now had to be subject to Government inspection. The new school was one, rather gaunt, stone built room next to the Church. The National School (or Church School) flourished. In 1851 it had 98 scholars out of a village population of 578! The Government Inspector came to the school. Inevitably with so many children in such a small room he made an adverse report. The logical step was to amalgamate the resources of the Eighteenth Century Endowed School and the new National School. This happened in 1858. The endowment was paid towards the general expenses of the National School which then became open to all the inhabitants without religious distinction. The original Endowed School became the schoolmaster’s house. It was called Rose Cottage. Unfortunately it became very dilapidated and was pulled down some years ago.
The necessity for the new school was illustrated by the Government Inspector’s report on the school in 1880. “the new schoolroom which has been completed through the liberality of Lord Scarbrough and other resident gentry is a great improvement on the inconvenient unhealthy room in which I saw the children on my last visit. The younger children are now taught in a separate room. The scholars are clean and healthy looking. But, except in the Second Standard, they are backward”.
Until the Elementary Education Act of 1891 established free education, farmers paid 6d a week for their children, tradesmen 4d, and labourers 3d. The relationship between family work patterns and the school is illustrated in a report in the local press in 1880. It stated that the school did not re-open after the summer holidays until October 4th. This was because of a delayed harvest. The children’s priority was the harvest field. Rolleston’s successor, Francis Baldwin, extracted from a reluctant Government the largest grant ever given to a National School up to that time!
With the vast developments in Maltby during the Twentieth Century new schools have had to be built. So the Maltby C. of E. National School ceased to be viable as numbers declined. Notice of closure was received on June 10th, 1980, and the school closed on July 18th with a service of thanksgiving for the Endowed and National School’s 266 years contribution to Maltby’s children. The school building is now divided into flats.
There were two other schools in the parish. In 1862 Jane Goodband is recorded as having connection with an infant school in a house at the hamlet of Stone in the parish of Maltby. Successive teachers lodged there. They used their sitting room as a school during the week. A school building was built in 1897, and the teacher was Miss O’Neill who retired in 1920 and died years afterwards aged 93. Her sister continued the school until 1933 when the remaining children were transferred to a new school in Maltby.
In 1868 a Mr. Ebenezer Ellis started a school at the Grove on Lord Scarbrough’s Estate. When he died in 1918 his daughters, Miss Bertha and Miss Mary, carried on with the school as a day and boarding school until 1949.